What is the difference between a Market and a DMA/CMA in the BDS system?
- DMA stands for Designated Market Area. A DMA is a geographic region used to analyze and quantify consumer activity. In the Luminate products DMAs are used to geographically categorize music sales and online streaming of music in the United States.
- CMA stands for Census Metropolitan Area. CMA's are used to geographically categorize music sales and online streaming of music in Canada.
- Music sales include paid digital downloads of albums and tracks as well as online and in-store purchases of CDs and vinyl records.
- Online streaming of music includes ad-supported and paid subscriptions to services like Spotify, YouTube, Apple Music and Pandora.
- Within BDSradio when referring to sales and streaming the terms "DMA", "CMA", "Market" and "Metro" are sometimes used interchangeably. The term "Local" is also used by some in the music industry to refer to the same idea.
- Within the MRC Data products the term "Market" is also used to refer to a geographic area used to analyze and quantify FM, AM and HD radio airplay and listenership of music. FM, AM and HD radio is often referred to as "terrestrial" radio.
- In this usage a "Market" usually covers a smaller geographic area than a DMA or CMA due to the reach of the average terrestrial radio signal.
When comparing airplay to sales and streaming keep in mind that DMAs and CMAs often include multiple airplay Markets. For example, the radio Markets of Los Angeles, Riverside, and Oxnard/Ventura are all included in the Los Angeles DMA.
What is DMA/CMA/Markets level data?
A DMA, or Designated Market Area (also known as a Media Market, Market Level, or Local Level), is a region where the population can receive the same radio station offerings and internet content. DMAs are used to determine what content radio listeners ...
I want to compare airplay, streaming and sales between markets.
In BDSradio to compare airplay, streaming and sales between markets, click on a song title or artist name from any report or go to Songs / Song View to look up a song or artist. Click on the "Markets DMA" tab. Airplay, streaming and sales is ...
Radio - How can I use Market Level Streaming Data?
MRC Data offers Market Level Streaming Data for the US and Canada. How do you, as a client, best use that data to help your business? If you’re programming music for a multi-cluster radio company then you may have questions like the following: I’m ...
How does BDS decide which airplay formats a station is included in?
Definitions of BDS Airplay Formats AA - Triple A - Billboard chart format - Adult leaning rock stations that generally have a softer musical lean and a broader musical posture than Mainstream Rock stations. More often characterized by ...
How do I use the Streaming Chart in BDSradio?
In BDSradio go to "Charts/Streaming" to view the Streaming Chart. Streaming refers to on-line listening to music and viewing of music videos through services like Spotify, YouTube, Apple Music and Pandora. These providers are also referred to as ...